Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 15, 2009

Thursday, October 15th

Where has the week gone? Seems like we have been on a merry-go-round and can't seem to get off --- yet , but we will!

Garry had his 2nd cycle of chemo Tuesday. Our fantastic nurses at the oncology center were able to complete the treatment in just 7 hours. It was a huge, long day, but we were so thankful it was completed. Wednesday we were able to squeeze 2 more follow-up Dr. visits in and make it back to the oncology center for his Nuelasta shot which has to be administered 24 hours after his chemo is completed. All went well. Now we sit back and wait to see how far his white blood count drops in the next few days. The Dr. has taken extra steps to keep the drop from being so dramatic as last cycle.
Each day he has been improving and growing stronger. Finally we have been able to get off some medicines which enables both of us to sleep at night instead of taking meds every 4 hours. His legs are nearly back to normal - that being his normal bird legs and they are still as fluorescent as ever! Garry has experienced many new "firsts" lab work, multiple doctor appointments, chemo, shots, diet, walking every hour, breathing treatments and home care nurses and to top it off with me telling him what to do. He says that I've always told him what to do - IF, I ever told him to do something in the past - that will have been nothing compared to what I AM telling him now. ha. He continues to have a great attitude and one of thankfulness as well.

As always we are so grateful for all of you. Many phone calls, Facebook inquiries, cards and actions of thoughtfulness. We are aware of each of you and your faithfulness. Grandma is still with us and is such a blessing to all of us. She is able to be with Garry while I work - that is a huge relief for me. Andrew & JD have been a tremendous help as well.

Continue to keep us in your prayers. Doctors will be doing either a CAT scan or PET scan in the next few weeks which will give us a better understanding of what the chemo is accomplishing.

Please no visits at this time, your phone calls, or emails are welcomed. Garry asks about each of you and wants you to know he is counting the days till he will be back with you.
We love you all.

Becky, Preacher & family

4 comments:

  1. Becky just found out. Please know our prayers and hearts are with you and Bro. Garry love to you and your family. Russ and Debi Masa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bro. Garry & Becky. We are all praying for you at Millcreek Baptist Church. My husband Jerry Miller & I (Pat) know a little about Cancer. He is a pastor of 32 years and now is doing Evangelist and filling in for Pastors. He retired after is cancer in 2007 and I had breast cancer Dec. 2008. We were about 14 months apart. Mine was in the 3rd stage and had spread. Throught the power of prayer I am doing so much better. I am cancer free, but still under the Doctors care. I SAID ALL THIS TO SAY: "we know how to pray and we are praying for your family and church" We joined MillCreek Nov. 2008. If we can do anything for you please email or call.
    www.preacherpatsy@netzero.net or 904-880-3232.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brother Garry,

    We have been praying for you since I discovered this information on the church's web site.

    We pray that your recovery will be soon.

    We still remember your ministry to Vida while she was having surgery back in March. We sure welcomed your care and hope that God would return to you ten fold His care to you at this time.

    God's grace is, as always, sufficient for all things that we face in this life for His glory.

    I am sorry that I can't do more for you at this time, as I am in up-state NY with my father-in-law helping with his care with Vida.

    In His Grace,
    Pastor Ernest & Vida Brodie, Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Becky,

    I've just gotten notice about your husband's condition, and I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and your husband. It has been quite a while since we sat around the pool at the Bill Rice Ranch and talked about all the books we were reading or have read. Do you remember all the times at Deaf camp at the BRR? I so enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you and your daughter. I've thought about you often and have heard bits and pieces through the years. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time.

    God bless you!
    Cindy (England) Bullock
    Heritage Baptist Church (formerly Thrifthaven)
    Memphis, TN

    ReplyDelete